Monday 31 December 2018

2018: Things That Made Me Happy

Note that there is no question mark in this title!

We hear so much about what makes us unhappy. And there are plenty of things that make us unhappy. I enjoy a good complain - I'm quite good at it, but I think that it can become quite psychologically unhealthy. In contrast, what I think is quite good for us is to celebrate the things that make us happy.

This post is, unusually, going to be rather personal. I make no apologies.

In approximately ascending order of happiness:


Health

My health is not perfect. I am nearing 50 and stuff is faltering. I've also had an ongoing anxiety-type thing that is still interfering with me a little. But despite all this, by and large, I am in good shape. This is really good and I should be grateful for that.


This Blog

This is far from being an awesome blog as I am sure you will attest, but I enjoy it. I am inconsistent about it, should perhaps plan my posts a little more, perhaps post a little more even. But it's been nice to keep the ball in the air, so to speak. People have been really lovely in commenting a little and giving me a little feedback. This makes me very happy.


Music

As you might have guessed, I love music and finding new music. And this year has been no exception. Obviously there is the records released this year (talked about here) but also older ones that I have somehow missed. I never fail to be blown away by things.


My Masters

Who'd have thought a few years ago that I would have had the chance to go back to university and do my Masters degree? Not me. Who'd have thought that it would have gone so well? When I began, I was just happy to be given the opportunity, but to come out with a Distinction was a massive thing to me. I am generally of the opinion that I am more lucky than talented (etc.) - I just happened to be in the right place and so on - but this was a real counter-example, and that makes me happy!



PhD

Again, much like the MA, this is incredible and I keep having to pinch myself to confirm that it is really happening. I can't believe that I have been given the opportunity to do this. I have the opportunity to learn about interesting things, to go to interesting places, and to meet interesting people. That's pretty damned cool!


Friends

One thing that has come from the MA and PhD is more friends. I am really lucky and grateful that I have such a number of friends in so many circles. I have close friends who I see most days and friends at university, but also old colleagues and old students. People are so lovely and it is awesome to spend time with them.


Family

Ditto following friends. I am lucky to have a family that love me and do their best to support me. Bonus point: they're not mad!


Che

Watching Che grow up over this last couple of years has been amazing. As anyone who knows us will be aware of, Che's teenage years were a struggle. Like most parents and their teenage children there were moments that I could have killed her. I always knew that that time would pass but it was sometimes hard to see the wood for the trees, and I have no doubt that if it were Che writing this post she would have her own frustrations with me (and likely some of them are well justified!) Anyway, my baby is all grown up now. Seeing her manage work, her own place, Ronnie, her new little brother, is awesome to me. And she passed her driving test and got a car!


Vincent

Who saw this coming? Well, me, for a little while anyway. But he's here now and he is lovely and awesome and charming. Of course, he is only 5 months, so all that needs to be considered through that prism. It's ridiculous and yet perfectly natural how much his dumb stupid smile cheers me up. And his laugh! And his 'talking'. It warms this dead old heart, I tells ya!



Bella

There is one person that makes all this worthwhile in a way that no other does. She looks after me and cares for me and sees me in a way that no-one else does. I can't believe how wonderful Bella is to me. She should know better - she's so clever and yet she still indulges me and makes me happy. I hope that I make her as happy as she makes me. I don't figure my chances to highly, but I'll keep trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment