Sunday 19 February 2017

Ten Albums That Impressed Me This Week (19/2)

Week ending 19th Feb 2017

Every week I listen to lots of albums - on average three or four a day. Once a week, roughly about this time (i.e. the weekend), I will note the ten albums that have impressed me the most. Usually, they will have impressed me positively; but not necessarily.

I may not make much commentary, if any. Although discussion in the comments is encouraged.

Doris Duke - I'm a Loser


Top notch Southern Soul. I'll never get tired of Swamp Dogg's production on the opener 'He's Gone'

John Cale - Fragments of a Rainy Season


Very different to the other live album I have of Cale ('Sabotage'); much more low key - just him and a piano. Intimate but I am not sure I prefer it...

The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society


Dion - Dion


Come for the weird-ass version of Hendrix's 'Purple Haze', stay for the quality sixties troubadour-ing.

Abba - Voulez Vous


The last great Abba album and their most Disco.

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions - Mainstream


The Impressions - This is My Country


See my post on Curtis Mayfield! This is a great example of why Curtis is genius.

Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night


Lovely, early Asylum era Waits. The title track is one my very favourites.

Grace Jones - Warm Leatherette


One day I will write a list of things to demonstrate why Grace Jones is amazing. In the mean time, we'll just have to admit to ourselves that a week in which I listen to a Grace Jones album is likely to be a week that she appears in a list like this.

Deaf School - 2nd Honeymoon


This is sort of silly, but irresistible.

No comments:

Post a Comment